1/7/12

Charmed Thirds - Megan McCafferty

I was going to start this review by saying that this was my least favourite of the series so far, but then I realized that I love this book for all the reasons that initially made me dislike it.  I know that doesn't make much sense, so let me explain.

Charmed Thirds chronicles Jessica Darling's years at Columbia, as she works towards her Psychology degree and discovers herself.  Now, if you've gone to post-secondary straight out of high school, like I did, let me ask you a question: did you know who you were at that age?  Personally, I thought I did, only to realize after the fact that I really didn't know who I was at all, but those years really did help me to learn who I was.  Jessica Darling is in that stage.  She thinks that she knows it all, but she really doesn't.  Throughout this whole process, she discovers more about who she is and what she wants out of the world.  The tone of the book is a little self-indulgent, at times it's whiny and sometimes I wanted to throw it across the room and yell, "Just grow UP already!"  But I kept flipping those pages because there was some part of Jessica's adventure that reminded me of my own early twenties and, for that reason alone, I loved this book.  I have the next two books sitting on my bedside table (amidst a rather large pile of unread library books) and I'm excited to finish the rest of the series.

1 comments:

  1. Great review, hun! :) I haven't heard about this series before, but it sounds really good, I'm going to have to check it out sometime soon! :)

    Are you free after this weekend? I was hoping we could meet for a cup of coffee! :) Starbucks?! Let me know!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs