12/13/11

Top Ten Books I Want To Give As Gifts

Time for another Top Ten Tuesday (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish).  This Top Ten reminds me of one of my favourite customer requests, back when I worked in a bookstore: "What book would you recommend for a gift?"  Of course, my book recommendations would generally be more specific (someone who only reads fishing magazines probably wouldn't love a Harry Potter gift set) but, if I was still working in a bookstore, these are the top ten books that I'd be recommending as gifts this holiday season...

1. Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver
I cannot find words to express how much I loved this book.  It is perfect for an adolescent girl, or even a woman in her twenties.  The story is heart-wrenching and profound, not to mention the fact that it's beautifully written.  I heart Lauren Oliver.

2. The Gargoyle - Andrew Davidson
This book can appeal to so many different readers.  It has a great love story, but a male narrator.  Davidson is an amazing writer (I wish he would hurry up and write a second book!) and the story in this book is just beautifully layered.

3. Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
Seriously, if there is anyone left in the world who hasn't read Harry Potter yet, 'tis the season to fix that.

4. Eyes of the Dragon - Stephen King
Stephen King is such a fantastic storyteller, but most of his stories are a little too horrific for the average reader.  King wrote this book for his twelve-year-old daughter, so it's a fairy tale, told King-style with no gore.

5. White Oleander - Janet Fitch
This book is, and will always be, one of my top ten favourites of all time.  I've recommended it to many of my friends, all of whom loved it, and it is a book that I will continue to recommend.

6. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane - Kate di Camillo
This book is pure magic.  From the beautiful illustrations to the heart warming story, it is a book to delight readers of any age, from a child up to a grandparent.

7. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Mark Haddon
This is another book that appeals to several generations of readers and appeals to a broad range of interests.  The story is narrated in such a unique manner and the book is really one of a kind.

8. The Neverending Story - Michael Ende
This is another book that is one of my all time favourites.  The story has a certain magical quality to it; who doesn't dream of literally escaping into a story?

9. The Alchemist - Paulo Coelho
Inspirational and full of amazing and powerful imagery.  This is a book that can be read and reread and, I believe, is read differently by each reader.

10. Delirium - Lauren Oliver
I know, I know, I've included two books by the same author on my list.  But, seriously, Lauren Oliver is such an AMAZING writer.  Delirium is such a unique story, unlike anything else I've ever read before.

8 comments:

  1. I love your choices! Before I Fall and Delirium are great picks, especially. And, of course, Harry Potter! Those books make great gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great picks! Have you read Lauren Oliver's Liesl & Po yet, btw? It's my favorite book of 2011, and also a really great book to give as a gift...it's absolutely gorgeous. :) http://backinthemidnightgarden.blogspot.com/2011/10/liesl-po-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard lots of good things about Delirium, this is a great list by the way!! This gave me a couple of gift ideas :).

    BTW, welcome to the Outlander and Game of Thrones Reading Challenges, I look forward to having you join us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is quite an eddlectic list. Anyone who has Steven King on their list is awesome in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Melissa, I am Veronica @ Mostly Reviews, you posted about your button but I can't reply on posts, so can you please send me an email at:
    mostlyreviews@hotmail.com
    I'll be happy to help you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohh yess nice list! Soem of these are in my TBR

    P/S I'm your new follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to order Delerium next because you recommended it before.

    Harry Potter and White Oleander<3

    You're going to read Game of Thrones? I'm still stuck on book 4 -_-.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lauren Oliver is also my favorite author! Her books are just amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs