12/31/11

End of 2011 Book Survey

Ever since I discovered The Perpetual Page-Turner and read last year's survey, I've been awaiting this year's version.  And now -- it's time!

Best Book You Read In 2011?

Usually it's hard to pick just one best book, but this year it's easy: Delirium by Lauren Oliver.  Absolutely cannot WAIT for Pandemonium next year!!!

Most Disappointing Book/Book You Wish You Loved More Than You Did?

Based on my GoodReads ratings, I’d have to go with Sara Shepard’s Everything We Ever Wanted.  Although I am tiring of the Pretty Little Liars series (in my opinion, you can only drag a series out for so long before it needs to end), she is such a good storyteller.  When I saw that she’d written a book for adults, I was excited to read another excellent story, but one geared for an adult audience for a change.  I was so disappointed with the book that I couldn’t even finish it.

Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2011?

I’d probably go with Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.  I had a feeling that the book would be good, based on the reviews, but I really didn’t know what to expect in the story.  The mixed-media aspect was completely new for me, and a very pleasant change to a traditional story.

Book you recommended to people most in 2011?

I think I’ve lost track of the number of times that I have raved about Lauren Oliver’s books.

Best series you discovered in 2011?

I’ve just started Karen Marie Moning’s Fever series (which is supposed to be really good, although I’ve only read book one so far) and I’ve also discovered, and am loving, the Luxe series by Anna Godbersen.

Favourite new authors you discovered in 2011?

Most of the books that I read over the last year were authors that were familiar to me, but I did discover Anna Godbersen.

Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?

Definitely Ender’s Game.  I’m not much of a sci-fi reader, but my husband recommended this book for a bookclub discussion, so I had no choice.  And surprisingly I ended up quite enjoying the book!
 
Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2011?
Hands down: Delirium.

Book you most anticipated in 2011?

Probably Cassandra Clare’s City of Fallen Angels.

Favourite cover of a book you read in 2011?

Liesl & Po -- how can you NOT love the cover of this book?

Most memorable character in 2011?
 

I want to answer with Delirium for every single question on this survey, but that would make my answers boring, so let me choose something different.  I thoroughly enjoyed Candace Bushnell’s Summer and the City, which portrays Carrie’s first summer in NYC.  I love New York, I love Sex and the City and I loved Carrie’s youthful voice as she arrives in the city, eager to escape her boring upbringing and begin her life as a writer in the big city.

Most beautifully written book read in 2011?

Chris Cleave’s Little Bee.  A beautiful, beautiful book.  A must-read.

Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2011?

Lisa Genova’s Left Neglected was difficult to read at times, as some of the struggles that her family was going through brought back memories for me.  Not that I’ve known someone with left neglect (and the whole concept in the book was pretty amazing too), but I’m sure that everyone has had a loved one in the hospital and can relate to the struggles that the characters go through.

Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2011 to finally read? 

I have had Carlos Ruiz Zafon’s Shadow of the Wind sitting on my bookshelf for YEARS.  I have heard people rave about the book and noticed it appear on Heather’s Picks shelf at Chapters.  People have come over to my house, pulled the book of the shelf and asked me if I loved the book as much as they did.  Yet, somehow, I just never got around to reading it until this summer.  And I loved it.  Loved, loved, loved it.

Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2011? 

I know, I know, I said that I wouldn’t use Delirium for every answer, but I have this quote on my GoodReads page, so it’s an easy one to grab:

Love: a single word, a wispy thing, a word no bigger or longer than an edge. That's what it is: an edge; a razor. It draws up through the center of your life, cutting everything in two. Before and after. The rest of the world falls away on either side.

Book That You Read In 2011 That Would Be Most Likely To Reread In 2012? 

Oh, what the heck, Delirium again.  I have a terrible memory for books after I’ve read them, so I will likely need to reread this one before Pandemonium comes out!

Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!

Probably the end of Ender’s Game, but my husband had already read it so I could talk to him about it as soon as I’d finished the book.

New favourite book blog you discovered in 2011? 

Honestly, every blog that I have added this year is a new favourite that has just been discovered, since I’ve only been at this blogging thing for a couple of months.  But the FIRST blog that I stumbled across was CuppaLit, so she’ll hold a special place in my heart!

Favourite review that you wrote in 2011? 

Not that I have that many to choose from, but I’d probably have to say Miss Peregrine’s.

Best discussion you had on your blog? 

I haven’t had all that many comments so far (but big thanks to all of you who have commented – you make my day each time!)  The best discussion so far would probably also go to Miss Peregrine!

Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else's blog?

I thoroughly enjoy the amount of discussion that Wendy Darling generates on her reviews.  She is one of my newest GoodReads friends, but one who clearly loves reading and talking about books just as much as I do!

Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?

I’m new to the blogging world (just started in November) so I don’t think that I really have that much to choose from.  I love making lists, so I am thoroughly enjoying Top Ten Tuesdays.

Best moment of book blogging in 2011?

Probably the moment that I decided to take the plunge and start the blog.

Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?

Again, I’m still new to blogging, but my top ten Tuesdays have probably had the most views, since people are checking them out and then following my blog (a big thank you to each and every one of you!!!)

Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

It’s hard to answer this one – several of my reviews have no comments, but I still hope that people are reading them.

Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?

Probably The Book Depository.  I haven’t ordered anything yet, but I’ve price compared a few titles with Chapters and I was excited to discover that all of the books were cheaper with the Book Depository!

Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?

I challenged myself to read 50 books in 2011, and I actually read 63!  And that doesn’t even include all of the picture books that I read for my Spring 2011 course!

One Book You Didn't Get To In 2011 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2012?

I am currently reading Divergent, so this will be my first read book of 2012.  I wanted to read this book SO BADLY after reading so many rave reviews online, and received my very own copy under the tree on Christmas morning!

Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2012?

Pandemonium.  And, lucky me, it’s going to be released on my birthday!  Yippee!!!!

One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2012?

I joined a couple of reading challenges, so I plan to complete those.  In addition to that, I will continue to read and share my thoughts on what I’ve read. 

Happy New Year everyone – I’m wishing you all lots of good reading moments in 2012!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! I will always return the favour whenever I can!!

Flexible Template by ScreenWritersArena

Custom Design by Lea Christine Designs